12 years ago

Swagger
    -verb
    -noun

Pronunciation:
    [swag-er]

Definition:
    - verb (used without object)
    1. to walk or strut with a defiant or insolent air.
    2. to boast or brag noisily.

- verb (used with object)
    3. to bring, drive, force, etc., by blustering.

- noun
    4. swaggering manner, conduct, or walk; ostentatious display of arrogance and conceit.

Etymology:
    1590, first recorded in Shakespeare ("Midsummer Night's Dream," III.i.79), probably a frequentative form of swag (v.). The noun is attested from 1725.

As a side note:
    Swag: "to move heavily or unsteadily," 1520s, probably from O.N. sveggja "to swing, sway," cognate with O.E. swingan "to swing" (see swing). The noun sense of "ornamental festoon" is first found 1794. Earlier senses of "bulky bag" (c.1300) and "big, blustering fellow" (1580s) may represent separate borrowings from the Scandinavian source.

Quote with the word:
    "What hempen homespuns have we swaggering here"
    - Puck (From Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream")

Hey, would you guys be interested in having a foreign WOTD once a week? I've been thinking about doing that, too.

• silvershoes
    12 years ago

Haha I've been told I've got swagger recently.

Love it. Not sure how I feel about foreign words. PnQ is designed to be an English site and we have rules preventing other languages in most areas.

• sibyllene
    12 years ago

I'm for foreign words. From what I gather, the only reason we require translations for non-English is so that it can be moderated. I don't see that being an issue with WOTD, plus I'm guessing there would be a translation.

Of course, what I especially like is seeing those connections between English and non-English words. You can see how there is so much sharing and borrowing. No language is "pure." Except maybe binary or something.

• Jordan
    12 years ago

If it does go ahead, there will be translations as well as nice connections to English if possible. It'll only be once a week. I won't delve outside of Indo-European languages, either, so there is room for lots of fun stuff. Mods, rule this one soon? :)

• Michael D Nalley
    12 years ago

I still like to swagger that I never swaggered out of my league

http://youtu.be/LDB_sLdrHag

That's why I have turned loose of many challenges

• abracadabra
    12 years ago

I have twice played the role of Bottom in Midsummer Night's Dream. Best role ever.
    Swag is very Australian, with all their jolly swagmen. Nice to see it linked with swagger.

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

"Now, the dudes are lining up cause they hear we got swagger
    But we kick em to the curb unless they look like Mick Jagger"

She may be a slut with a tune, but she's got swagger

• Larry Chamberlin
    12 years ago

Damn cell phone double clicks!